Slideshow Widget

Cocoa Banana Bran Muffins | Kitchener/Waterloo Food Photography

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Husband and I are leaving tomorrow morning for the North and I thought I could make something to give us a semi-healthy head-start in the AM. Behold! My first attempt at mixing flours in a recipe to make it healthier. You'll notice that only 1/2 cup of unbleached white flour was used, which was mixed with 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour, 1 full cup of bran and 1/2 cup of oats.
In the image above you can see all of the little grains/oats/bran goodness that made up each muffin.
Cocoa Banana Bran Muffins

Ingredients:
1/2 cup white flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup bran
1/2 cup oats
3 tbsp cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
2+ mashed bananas

5 tbsp milk or plain yogurt

Method:
1) Cream tog. butter and sugar. Add egg, vanilla and mashed bananas. Mix on medium speed until well blended.
2) In a separate bowl, mix together flours, bran, oats, cocoa, baking soda/powder, and salt. Add to creamed mixture.
3) Mix all ingredients very well
4) Slowly add milk (you may need more if batter is not soft enough to spoon into muffin cups).
5) Spoon batter into muffin cups and place in 350 degree oven.
6) Muffins should be ready within 20-25 minutes (or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean).

By the way, add dark chocolate chunks or walnuts to kick up the flavour! You could also substitute the milk/yogurt for applesauce.
I've also begun making my Mom's cheesecake for her birthday. While I'm waiting for the cream cheese to soften, I've made the cake's base - yummy crushed graham crackers. The base was super-simple.

Graham Cracker Crust (for Cheesecake)

Ingredients:
1+ cup(s) of crushed graham crackers (you can purchase pre-ground crackers too)
about 1/3 cup butter, melted

Method:
1) Pour crushed graham crackers into a steel bowl. Slowly add about half of the butter and mix with your hands. Keep alternating between adding butter and mixing with your hands until the cracker mixture sticks together when you form a ball with it.
2) Spread mixture onto bottom of spring-form pan and press down firmly, covering all spaces.
3) I've had my cracker crust sitting on the counter for about 2 hrs now and it's firm and ready for my New York cheesecake mixture!
I'll be sure to post more from my cheesecake process once everything is ready! Will take recommendations for its topping though if you would care to leave a comment!
CD Listend to While Baking: The Baroness by Sarah Slean
Images Captured with: Canon 7D, 50mm lens, 100mm lens, white reflective board, natural lighting.

2 Responses to “ Cocoa Banana Bran Muffins | Kitchener/Waterloo Food Photography ”

Jenn Huynh said...

Hi Kate!

Keep up the great food photos, your blog is making me hungry!

:)

Christine said...

Yum! To take the "healthy" one step further, I replaced the 1C butter with 1/4C butter, 1/2C coconut oil and 1/4C applesauce, and I replaced the sugar with 1/2 sugar and 1/2 splenda. Thanks for the yummy recipe. The photos are great too!