Slideshow Widget

Enough with the Muffins Lady! | Kitchener/Waterloo Food Photographer

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Yes, I know. I bake and take A LOT of pictures of muffins! I really couldn't resist sharing this recipe (and the ensuing images) though. They turned out so perfectly and had such an awesome sugary texture that a photo-op couldn't be passed up.
I needed something to put in the Girls' snack cupboard (that wasn't pre-packaged...or those huge muffins that you can buy at the grocery store that are absurdly high in calories) and went for a quick scroll thru some recipes at allrecipes.com (my favourite recipe site!). After drooling over pictures for a pumpkin chocolate chip muffin recipe (alas, we had no pumpkin puree...will have to be yet another muffin recipe I attempt and photograph) I stumbled upon probably the BEST plain, old chocolate chip recipe I've ever made.

SO, here is the recipe from allrecipes.com. It comes from the kitchen of a woman named Janice and I've tweaked it just a tiny bit to include whole wheat flour:

Quick Chocolate Chip Muffins:

Ingredients:
1 c. white flour
1 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 c. white sugar
3 tsps baking powder
1 tsp salt

3/4 milk (I added about 1/4 c. more than the recipe states just to make my batter more smooth)
1 egg
1/3 c. vegetable oil (I used olive oil)
3/4 c. chocolate chips

1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp white sugar

Method:
1) Set oven to 400 degrees.
2) Mix together milk, oil and egg.
3) In a separate bowl, mix together flours, 1/2 cup white sugar, baking powder and salt. Once mixed, add to milk mixture. Beat on medium until smooth (add extra milk if the batter could use some "smoothing").
4) Add the chocolate chips.
5) Pour batter into paper muffin cups.
6) Mix 1 tbsp of brown sugar with 1 tbsp of white sugar. Using a small spoon (or shaker), coat the tops of your muffins.
7) Bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until fork inserted inside comes out clean.
Here is what the batter looks like before. I thought the light and little bits of sugar looked so pretty (and you can't go wrong with pink cupcake cups!).
CD listend to while baking: The Life and Death of a Male Body by The Rumour Said Fire
Baking Items purchased at: Shoppers Drug Mart (chocolate chips - on sale - wahoo!)
Equipment Used: Canon 7D, 50mm lens (although, not a lot), 100mm lens, all natural light

2 Responses to “ Enough with the Muffins Lady! | Kitchener/Waterloo Food Photographer ”

prolix said...

Thank you my dear, keep an eye out for the rest of it :)
Bakery Equipment

Michelle said...

Yum making these tonight ;)